171 Strand

 

20170529_153547

This abandoned tube station, which served a branch of the Piccadilly line, opened in 1907 and closed in 1994.

Although the sign declares it “Strand Station,” the station was renamed “Aldwych,” after a nearby street, in 1915.

An interesting fact: during WWI and WWII, the station was closed temporarily and used to store art from the National Gallery–including the Elgin Marbles–thereby keeping the works safe from enemy bombing.